XactREMODEL estimating software calculates the right price, not too much, or worse, too little!
Insulation and Vapor Barriers
Ground water has a way of seeping beneath the concrete floor slab. As a result, it can destroy almost any type of floor that you will install in your basement. There are many signs of damage from cracking to warping and swelling. That is the main reason why basement renovations in Hamilton require the expert work of our Certified contractors.
Premature floor damage or deterioration can be prevented if you opt for one of the several vapor barriers available. Upon the advice of your contractor and upon a thoughtful research on the matter, you may decide on one of the following:
- Apply PVC on the concrete slab with a waterproofing adhesive
- Use waterproofing polyethylene sheet on top of the aggregate bed bonded with asphaltic mastic
- Air-gap membranes made of high density polyethylene resin
- Floor matting to control moisture penetration
Your Hamilton basement renovations contractors will also advise you to add a layer of insulation on top of the vapor barrier. The insulation should also be applied along the foundation wall edges in order to prevent heat loss. Depending on the climate conditions, the thickness of the insulation layer may vary from one to two inches.
Our basement renovations Ancaster experts will recommend the right solution for each particular case. Proper foundation insulation is a value-generating investment from many points of view.
- You will protect the assets in the basement from any future damage.
- You will reduce overall energy consumption
- You will cut down on heat loss
- You will minimize dampness and other moisture related damage
Our basement renovations Ancaster Certified contractors will recommend the best vapor barrier option for your needs. The latest developments in the field consist of air-gap membranes and floor matting with high impact resistance and load bearing. They also offer high resilience to mould, fungus, and mildew growth.